Pages

Thursday 30 January 2014

The Girl with all the Gifts


So a week or two ago this book showed up as an ad on my facebook, and so I gave the page a quick look over. It was really cryptic as to what the book is really about and I only really saw this creepy video of a girl in a cell reading from a book, and the vague blurb that reminded me so much of Spoonface.
Anyway, I was intrigued, and low and behold (because their selection is usually pretty awful!) they had it on the Kobo store! Once I'd bought it I put that I wanted to read it on Goodreads, and Apple promptly comments telling me that it's like Warm Bodies! XC
I was literally devastated after it cost me £8.50, and after buying Warm Bodies because it had a Simon Pegg quote on the front a year or two ago it all came back to haunt me!
I will point out that I have a hard time working out zombies. I'm a bit too much of a realist in most respects to grasp the whole dead but living but dead scenario - though not as much as with vampires! There's no explanation for them bastards! - so when I started reading Warm Bodies (with my brain conditioned into the whole 'zombies are dead people with the urge to eat human flesh') I just slammed it shut and was like 'fuck this!'. And I stick by that judgement lol.
BUT!
I thought bugger it, I better give this one a try anyway. And I was hooked!
The premise of the 'hungries' is Ophiocordyceps - that fungus parasite that gets into ants and takes over their nervous system or whatever. That I can grasp. That is believable. According to Kev that's used in a few zombie things, so that's good to know, I can handle that <3
I really liked the character of Melanie, she did remind me of Spoonface a tiny bit, and I really liked her young mind, eager to learn everything and obsessed with the Greek myths that they're taught at 'school'.
I also really like that it's based in the UK!

I got through it in a couple of days and I was really into it - Highly recommended! <3

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad it was good and wasn't a waste of money! :D Its cool that its based off a fungus parasite too.

    ReplyDelete